Spend a wonderful week enjoying river cruising ‘your way’ as you cruise through the Dutch Waterways and Belgium, and visit some of the region’s most historic cities on your casual-but-stylish A-ROSA river cruise ship.
Dutch Waterways Available Departures:
- Fly direct from Edinburgh – various dates until October 2020 – from £1769pp
- Dates and prices on this page are based on departures flying from Edinburgh only
- Flights available from airports in England – Birmingham, Manchester, London Heathrow, London Southend and London Stansted – click here for more information on dates & prices.
Dutch Waterways and the Lower Rhine Tour Highlights
- Cruise across the man-made lagoon of the Markermeer to Hoorn
- Spend a full day and evening in Amsterdam
- A morning in Rotterdam
- Visits to the Belgian cities of Ghent and Antwerp
- Guided city tours in Amsterdam and Ghent
- A visit to Nijmegen on the river Waal
- Embark your A-ROSA vessel in Cologne
- Seven nights’ Premium All-Inclusive cruise accommodation
- Buffet breakfasts, lunches and dinners on board
- A large selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks all day long
- On-board activities and entertainment
- Return flights from the UK to Cologne
- Included coach transfers from the airport to the ship
Single supplements apply. Subject to availability.
Dutch Waterways Itinerary
Fly into Cologne and join the included transfer from the airport to your A-ROSA river cruiser. This afternoon your adventure begins as your vessel slips away from Cologne and heads down the Rhine towards the Dutch border.
This morning you’ll emerge from Holland’s pretty tangle of rivers and canals and cruise across the Markermeer to Hoorn. This charming town was once the headquarters of the Dutch East India Company, and flourished during the Golden Age of Dutch commerce in the 17th Century. Why not pay a visit to the Westfries Museum to see what daily life was like at different points in the town’s history? Alternatively, stroll the picturesque streets, look around the shops or stop in a cafe to enjoy a canal-side coffee.
This morning you’ll wake in Amsterdam. Discover some of the city’s most famous sights – the Royal Palace, the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh Museum to name a few – then spend the day exploring the city’s cobbled streets. Join an excursion, perhaps on one of the ship’s bikes, or catch a tram to hop around the city with ease. Return to the ship in your own time, this evening, or stay in the city to enjoy the nightlife and the friendly, cosmopolitan atmosphere until the time comes to depart (at around 11pm).
You’ll arrive in Rotterdam at around breakfast-time, today. As well as being a historic city of world-class museums and classically Dutch canals and cobbled squares, Rotterdam is a treasure trove of outlandish modern architecture – from the vast modern ‘harp’ of the Erasmus Bridge to the Cube houses of Overblaak Street. Within the remarkable upturned U of the Markethal you’ll find delicious food to try and buy, and a lively crowd of locals doing exactly that.
Shortly after lunch, your A-ROSA vessel will leave Rotterdam behind and head to the Belgian border on its way to Ghent.
The stunning architecture, cobbled streets and beautiful canals of Ghent are some of Europe’s best-kept secrets. An included guided tour will bring the city to life, and you’ll then be free to explore.
In the mid-afternoon, your A-ROSA vessel will leave Ghent behind, and cruise back into the Dutch waters of the Western Scheldt before turning east towards Antwerp.
Shortly after midnight your vessel will arrive in Antwerp, leaving you free to spend a full day exploring. Why not visit one of the city’s many museums or explore the Grote Markt, the city’s medieval central square lined with pretty guild houses? The Cathedral of Our Lady – the city’s most visible landmark – took nearly 170 years to build and is well worth a visit, as are the jewellers, grinding shops and showrooms of the city’s Diamond Square Mile.
Your last port of call will be lively Nijmegen, Holland’s oldest city. The quaint cobbled quarter is home to elegant Dutch architecture, pretty courtyards and quaint shops. Spend a relaxing morning here, before returning to the ship to make the most of your Premium All-Inclusive package on your final afternoon and evening on board.
Your A-ROSA experience ends this morning, as you disembark in Cologne and join your included coach transfer back to the airport to check in for your flight home.