This wonderful, sun-kissed, summertime Rhone to the Mediterranean river cruise from the great city of Lyon sails south to the Mediterranean port of Saint-Louis. Travel through one of France’s most delightful regions, and experience outdoor life aboard your A-ROSA ship.
Your premium-inclusive package is the ideal way to get the very best out of your A-ROSA experience. Relax over dinner from the gourmet buffet and live cooking stations, pamper yourself with a treatment or massage at SPA-ROSA, or sip cocktails from the open-deck bar over a spot of giant chess. How you spend your time is up to you – this is river cruising your way.
Call first at medieval Viviers, in its mountain-backed setting, and then enjoy a day in Avignon, where an included guided tour will bring this historic city to life. An overnight stay in former Roman stronghold Arles is followed by a cruise through the marshland of the Camargue to Port-Saint-Louis-du-Rhone, where the river flows out into the blue waters of the Mediterranean. Turning upstream, you’ll call at Tournon, opposite the vineyard-clad slopes of Tain l’Hermitage, before spending a final day in Lyon.
Rhone to the Mediterranean Available Departures:
- Fly direct from Edinburgh – 04 July 2020 – from £2039pp
- Dates and prices on this page are based on departures flying from Edinburgh only
- Flights also available from airports in England – Bristol, Liverpool John Lennon, London Gatwick, London Heathrow, London Luton and Manchester – click here for more information on dates and prices
Rhone to the Mediterranean Tour Highlights
- Six visits and tours
- Sailing south to medieval Viviers
- A morning call and included guided tour of Avignon
- An overnight stay in Roman Arles
- Sailing through the Camargue to Mediterranean Port-Saint-Louis-du-Rhone
- A call at Tournon/Tain l’Hermitage
- A full day, overnight stay and included guided tour in Lyon
- Embark A-ROSA STELLA in Lyon
- Seven nights’ Premium Inclusive cruise accommodation
- Return travel from the UK to France or Switzerland (unless you select our Tour Only option)
- Included coach transfers to the ship (unless you select our Tour Only option)
- Free Wi-Fi on board
- On-board activities and entertainment
- Gourmet buffet dining with live cooking stations
- Flexible mealtimes
- A FREE unlimited Premium Inclusive drinks package including water, soft drinks, speciality teas and coffees, beer, wine, spirits and cocktails throughout the day and evening
- Occasional regional treats and specialities to complement your destination that day
- Afternoon tea with freshly prepared cakes and pastries
- 15 per cent off on a range of beauty and wellness treatments in the on-board spa, SPA-ROSA
- The services of an International Host and an experienced English-speaking crew
- All port taxes and surcharges
Single supplements apply. Offer subject to availability.
Rhone to the Mediterranean Itinerary
Day One – Travel to France
Travel to Lyon or Geneva and board included transfers down to the river and your comfortable, contemporary A-ROSA ship. Settle into your cabin and perhaps enjoy your first meal on board before the ship sails in the late evening. Alternatively, make your own way from home to the ship, in your own time, in time to embark.
Day Two – Viviers, France
After a lovely morning cruise down the Rhone, you’ll stop in the exquisite town of Viviers. Stroll through its enchanting jumble of crumbling, narrow streets past quaint shops and coffee houses, all set against a stunning mountain backdrop, before your A-ROSA ship sails again in the evening.
Day Three – Avignon, France
You’ll dock in Avignon just after midnight. The ‘City of the Popes’ is one of Europe’s best-preserved fortified medieval cities. The monumental Palais des Papes is a sight to behold, while local life revolves around the Place de l’Horloge, where you’ll find the city’s famous astronomical clock and cafe terraces just perfect for watching the world go by. Don’t miss the remains of the Pont Saint-Benezet, the “Pont d’Avignon” made famous by the French folk song.
At midnight A-ROSA STELLA will set sail again, cruising further down the Rhone overnight.
Day Four – Arles, France
You’ll reach stunning Arles at dawn. The city reveals its Roman past through superbly preserved ruins – an amphitheatre, baths, a chariot racetrack and the famed Les Arenes amphitheatre. The great cathedral of St-Trophime and several museums add extra glamour to this city that inspired both Van Gogh and Gauguin.
Away from the city you’ll have the chance to explore the windswept but beautiful landscape of the Camargue. This vast region of lagoons and tiny islands is home to wild white horses, black bulls and flocks of flamingos, and is patrolled by the iconic French ‘cowboys’, the Gardians.
A-ROSA STELLA will stay in Arles overnight, leaving you free to spend as much time in the city as you like before returning to the ship.
Day Five – Port-Saint-Louis-du-Rhone, France
Leaving Arles in the morning, you’ll begin a superb cruise down the lowest reaches of the Rhone through the unspoiled marshlands of the Camargue. Take in the sights from the top deck as you drift down to Port-Saint-Louis-du-Rhone. Stroll along the pale sands of Plage Napoleon, cool off with a dip in the Med or relax in one of the town’s quiet cafes and bars.
In the evening your ship will turn back up the Rhone and cruise north to your next destination.
Day Six – Tournon, France
After a lovely day relaxing on board A-ROSA STELLA, you’ll arrive in beautiful Tournon. Idyllically located opposite the vineyard-clad slopes of Tain-l’Hermitage, and set beneath the towers of its ancient castle, Tournon is a wonderful place to visit. Why not sample some of region’s celebrated wines or spend the afternoon and evening relaxing in a quaint cafe?
Day Seven – Return to Lyon
This morning you’ll arrive back in Lyon, France’s great second city. Step ashore to explore this former centre of the silk trade, and discover Vieux Lyon and the Presqu’ile peninsula on an included guided walking tour. Cultural highlights include the Museum of Fine Arts of Lyon, Notre Dame Basilica and the stunning Roman amphitheatre – the Theatres Romains de Fourviere.
Spend the day soaking up the city’s atmosphere and, tonight, either dine on board or head back ashore to enjoy a meal in this legendary capital of French gastronomy.
Day Eight – Travel back to the UK
After enjoying your last night on-board A-ROSA STELLA, say goodbye to your friends and the crew as you disembark to begin your journey home.