Based in the charming blue flag resort of Isla, on the pristine Cantabrian Coast, this very special holiday takes in some of northern Spain’s greatest treasures. Visit San Sebastian’s spectacular beachfront and beguiling old quarter, enjoy a day in Bilbao and visit its iconic Guggenheim Museum, and take a trip into the ancient region of La Rioja to sample the local wines. You’ll also enjoy opportunities to discover elegant Santander and French treasure Biarritz on a duo of optional excursions.
Bilbao and San Sebastian Available Departures:
- Fly from Edinburgh – departing 13 September 2020 – from £1,192pp
- Dates and prices published on this page are for the departures flying from Edinburgh airport only.
- Flights also available from other UK airports – Bristol, London Gatwick, London Southend, London Stansted & Manchester – click here for more information on available dates and prices.
Bilbao and San Sebastian Tour Highlights
- Spend seven nights in Isla on the Cantabrian Coast
- Sample San Sebastian’s legendary pintxos tapas
- Explore the Bilbao and visit the Guggenheim Museum
- Explore La Rioja, Spain’s famed wine-producing region
- Visit Haro, with its historic bodegas, and enjoy a wine-tasting
- See Santo Domingo de la Calzada, situated on the famed Camino pilgrims’ trail
- Discover elegant Santander and fashionable Biarritz, on optional excursions
- Seven nights’ half-board accommodation in the three-star Hotel Isla Bella Spa (four-star upgrade available for a supplement)
- Guided tours of San Sebastian and Bilbao
- Entrance to the Guggenheim Museum
- A day trip to La Rioja Return flights to Bilbao
- Comfortable, air-conditioned coach travel and transfers
- Fully escorted by a friendly, experienced Tour Manager
Single supplements apply. Subject to availability.
Bilbao and San Sebastian Itinerary
Day One: Fly to Bilbao
Fly to Bilbao, meet your Tour Manager and transfer by coach to Isla and your hotel.
Day Two: Explore San Sebastian
Visit San Sebastian on today’s included guided tour. See La Concha – a sparkling, crescent-shaped bay considered one of the world’s finest urban beaches – then wander along the lively, narrow streets of the Old Town and across the river to see the marvellous belle-epoque buildings of the elegant Gros district.
Day Three: Relax on Isla Playa’s beaches
Enjoy a restful free day at the hotel or head out to explore the famous bays that make up Isla Playa. The stunning beaches of Playa El Sable and Playa de los Barcos are both located close to the hotel and boast golden sands, clear water and are surrounded by the lush green landscape that characterise this attractive region of Spain.
Day Four: Visit Bilbao
Discover the great Basque city of Bilbao on today’s fascinating included excursion. Set astride the River Nervion, this vibrant city has transformed itself from industrial metropolis to a leading centre of arts and culture. You’ll have the chance to stroll through the Casco Viejo – the old town of elegant arcades and quirky architecture – before we make our way to the remarkable Museo Guggenheim, the vast futuristic edifice that gives the city its status as an arts cente. Entrance to the museum is included, and inside you’ll discover one of Spain’s finest collections of modern art.
Day Five: Join our optional excursion to Biarritz, in the French Pyrenees
On today’s optional excursion we’ll cross the border into southwest France, passing through the pretty foothills of the Pyrenees to reach Biarritz. This glamourous seaside resort attracts pleasure-seekers and surfers to its famous beaches, many of which are backed by glitzy hotels, villas and casinos. Stroll the gilded shoreline, and perhaps take a seat in an elegant cafe or salon de the to soak up the charm of this seaside gem.
Day Six: Journey into La Rioja wine region
Travelling south, we’ll delve into the marvellous countryside of northern Spain to visit the region of La Rioja, famous across the world for its rich red, fine white and crisp rose wines. Our first stop is in bustling Haro, the centre of the Rioja Alta, where’ll we visit one of its historic bodegas for a wine tasting. We’ll then continue south from Haro to the town of Santa Domingo de la Calzada, a popular stop on the fabled Camino de Santiago pilgrims’ trail that snakes its way through the vine-covered landscape.
Day Seven: Join our optional excursion to Santander
Choose to enjoy your final day relaxing in Isla Playa, or join our optional tour to the regional capital, Santander. A long-time favourite haunt of Madrid’s discerning holidaymakers, this delightful city boasts the superb El Sardinero beach resort, as well as a beautifully-restored old town and the stunning peninsula of La Magdalena, offering glorious views of the bay, the golden beaches and the coast beyond. After a a short introductory tour you’re free to explore under your own steam – don’t miss the fishing port and pavement cafes and tapas bars that dot the tree-lined avenues.
Day Eight: Fly back to the UK
Bid farewell to the Basque Country, and transfer to Bilbao Airport for your return flight.