Relax aboard your floating hotel as you glide serenely from the delightful Danube to the picturesque waters of the Rhine. Navigating through the Main-Danube Canal with its many locks, our ship climbs to over 1,300 feet above sea level and onwards deep into the heart of Germany, covering over six hundred splendid miles.
Highlights include the Bavarian city of Regensburg, renowned for its well-preserved medieval core and twin spired gothic cathedral, as well as ancient Nuremburg, a city of emperors and princes dominated by a mighty fortress. Our itinerary also features time in captivating Cologne, home to a majestic cathedral which houses the Shrine of the Three Kings.
Your River Cruiser – MV Esmeralda
- The MV Esmeralda has comfortable public areas featuring attractive surroundings. The stunning views from the restaurant provide the perfect backdrop from which to enjoy your meals.
- Full board on the ship including hot/cold buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner. Morning coffee and afternoon tea whilst cruising.
- Whilst there is a stair lift onboard, wheelchair access to/from the ship is not possible. Cabin (lower) Deck rooms and the Sun Deck are not served by the stair lifts.
- Return coach travel from Inverurie, Aberdeen, Stonehaven, Forfar, Dundee, Perth or Edinburgh
- 12 nights’ accommodation with dinner, bed and breakfast – 2 nights on board the ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam, 1 night in a hotel pre-cruise and 9 nights’ on board the MV Esmeralda river cruiser
- Lunch on board MV Esmeralda while river cruising
- Visits include Nuremburg, Bamberg, Kitzingen, Wurzburg, Miltenberg and Cologne
- All coach and ferry transfers included
- Services of a holiday host
No single cabins are available on Esmeralda – apologies. Offer is subject to availability.
Blue Danube and Rhine River Cruise Itinerary
We journey to Newcastle for the overnight ferry to the continent enjoying dinner, entertainment and breakfast on board.
We continue to our overnight dinner, bed and breakfast stop.
We travel to Passau in Bavaria where we board the MV Esmeralda.
We pass imposing Walhalla at the approach to Regensburg, a magical medieval town with an old stone bridge spanning the Danube and a carefully preserved old quarter with an afternoon to explore.
We sail on to Kelheim where we leave the Danube and glide into the Main-Danube Canal. We then cruise smoothly through the Altmuhl Valley, an unspoilt region characterised by bizarre rock formations, juniper heathlands and riverside meadows.
Our destination of the day is Nuremburg, a city that reflects Germany’s history through the centuries. Follow the Historical Mile which ends at the twelfth century castle and be astounded by the ornate fountains and highly crafted churches .
Our adventure continues reaching Bamberg, a town often referred to as the Rome of Franconia. This enchanting gem stands on seven hills and is dominated by an imperial cathedral.
Arriving at Kitzingen, we join our coach for our trip along the Romantic Road, our first stop is Tauberbischofsheim one of the oldest towns along the Tauber Valley then on to Bad Mergentheim. On our return to rejoin the MV Esmeralda in Wurzburg we pass through Creglingen with its remains of town fortifications and numerous half-timbered houses witness to the town’s hisotry.
A day cruising along the Main with a short call mid-afternoon at Wertheim – nicknamed ‘Little Heidelberg’. This evening over dinner we cruise to Mainz.
Look forward to an afternoon in rumbustious Rudesheim where you might like to explore twelfth century Bromserburg Castle, wander the quirky alleyways or pop into inquisition and medieval punishments!
Today we cruise through the dramatic Rhine Gorge to Cologne, a city with a majestic cathedral featuring the Shrine of the Three Kings.
We disembark after breakfast and head for our ferry back to Newcastle enjoying dinner, entertainment and breakfast on board.
We make our way home.