This special Danube and Rhine River Cruise is made possible by the opening of the Main-Danube Canal in 1992. It made the dream of sailing across the heart of Europe from the North Sea to the Black Sea a reality.
The cruise will take you from Germany to Austria, by the Rivers Rhine and Main, the new canal and the River Danube.
With 9 nights on board, there is a lot of cruising, many locks to negotiate, much to experience, and dozens of interesting and picturesque places to see, but the overall pace is as leisurely and relaxing as possible.
From the Rhine Gorge to the history of Nuremberg, stunning castles to Roman cities, this really is the opportunity to sit back and unwind as the changing landscapes of Germany pass you by.
Your River Cruiser – MV Esmeralda
- The MV Esmeralda has comfortable public areas featuring attractive surroundings. The stunning views from the restaurant provide the perfect backdrop from which to enjoy your meals.
- Full board on the ship including hot/cold buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner. Morning coffee and afternoon tea whilst cruising.
- Whilst there is a stair lift onboard, wheelchair access to/from the ship is not possible. Cabin (lower) Deck rooms and the Sun Deck are not served by the stair lifts.
- Return coach travel from Inverurie, Aberdeen, Stonehaven, Dundee, Perth, Dunfermline or Edinburgh
- 12 nights’ accommodation with dinner, bed and breakfast – 2 nights on board the ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam, 1 night in a hotel pre-cruise and 9 nights’ on board the MV Esmeralda river cruiser
- Lunch on board MV Esmeralda while river cruising
- Visits include Nuremburg, Bamberg, Kitzingen, Wurzburg, Miltenberg and Cologne
- All coach and ferry transfers included
- Services of a holiday host
No single cabins are available on Esmeralda – apologies. Offer is subject to availability.
Blue Danube and Rhine River Cruise Itinerary
We journey to Newcastle for the overnight ferry to the continent enjoying dinner, entertainment and breakfast on board.
We continue to our overnight dinner, bed and breakfast stop.
We travel to Passau in Bavaria where we board the MV Esmeralda.
We pass imposing Walhalla at the approach to Regensburg, a magical medieval town. Afternoon to explore.
We sail on to Kelheim where we leave the Danube and glide into the Main-Danube Canal. We then cruise smoothly through the Altmuhl Valley.
Our destination of the day is Nuremburg, a city that reflects Germany’s history through the centuries.
Our adventure continues reaching Bamberg, a town often referred to as the Rome of Franconia.
Arriving at Kitzingen, we join our coach for our trip along the Romantic Road, our first stop is Tauberbischofsheim along the Tauber Valley then on to Bad Mergentheim.
A day cruising along the Main with a short call mid-afternoon at Wertheim – nicknamed ‘Little Heidelberg’. This evening over dinner we cruise to Mainz.
Look forward to an afternoon in rumbustious Rudesheim.
Today we cruise through the dramatic Rhine Gorge to Cologne.
We disembark after breakfast and head for our ferry back to Newcastlre enjoying dinner, entertainment and breakfast on board.
We make our way home.