This fascinating holiday is the perfect introduction to South Africa, one of the most strikingly beautiful countries to be found on the face of the Earth. Discover and explore spectacular Cape Town in its glorious setting, rugged Indian Ocean shores, the plain of the ‘Little Karoo’ and the rolling grassland home of ‘Big Five’ game, before finally taking in the sunkissed landscape of some of the world’s finest vineyards.
- Fly direct from Glasgow – departs various dates until October 2022 – from £2409pp
- Fly direct from Edinburgh – departs various dates until October 2022 – from £2409pp
- Fly direct from Aberdeen – departs various dates until October 2022 – from £2409pp
- Dates and prices on this page are based on departures flying from Glasgow, Edinburgh or Aberdeen only
- Flights also available from airports in England – London Heathrow, Manchester and Newcastle – click here for more information on dates and prices.
Cape Town, the Garden Route & Big Five Safari Tour Highlights
- Four game drives in search of the Big Five
- Ride Table Mountain’s rotating cable car
- Spend two nights in the privately owned Garden Route Game Lodge
- Tour the beautiful Cape Peninsula
- Visit the whale-watching town of Hermanus
- Discover South Africa’s Cape Winelands and beautiful Western Cape
- A wine-tasting lunch and tour on a Stellenbosch wine estate
- Visit foodie capital Paarl and elegant Franschhoek
- See the extraordinary Cango Caves and visit an ostrich farm
- Journey to Knysna, on the beautiful Garden Route
- Take a cruise on Knysna Lagoon
- Visit Tsitsikamma National Park and its towering ‘Big Tree’
- Nine nights’ bed and breakfast accommodation at hotels in Cape Town (2 nights), Stellenbosch (1), Mossel Bay (2), Albertinia (2) and Hermanus (1), plus two nights on the aircraft
- Four lunches and three dinners
- A spectacular whale-watching cruise (September to November departures only)
- Return flights to Cape Town via Johannesburg
- Comfortable, air-conditioned coach travel and transfers throughout
- Fully escorted by a friendly, experienced tour manager
Single supplements apply. Offer subject to availability.
Cape Town Tour Itinerary
Day One: Fly to Cape Town
Fly from the UK, via Johannesburg, to Cape Town.
Day Two: Included Cape Town city tour
Arriving in Cape Town, you’ll meet your tour manager and head straight out for an orientation tour of the city. You’ll see the white-sand beach of stylish Camp’s Bay before arriving at your hotel and, later, head out a walk through the leafy Company’s Gardens in the heart of the city.
This evening, why not visit the redeveloped Victoria and Alfred waterfront?
Day Three: Included tour of the Cape Peninsula and Table Mountain cable-car ride
Enjoy a fascinating full-day tour on which you’ll visit treacherous Cape Point, where the Atlantic meets the Indian Ocean; the beach resort of Boulders and its colony of penguins; Kirstenbosch, famous for its Botanical Gardens; Hout Bay; and – weather-permitting – breath-takingly scenic Chapman’s Peak Drive.
This afternoon, ascend Table Mountain in a rotating cable car that offers a 360-degree panorama as it climbs to the 1000-metre high summit.
Day Four: Free day at leisure
Today you’re free to relax in one of the world’s most stunningly located cities. Why not take a walking tour past the historic Bo-Kaap district’s Dutch colonial houses or catch a boat to infamous Robben Island, where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned (early pre-booking is recommended).
Day Five: Included Winelands tour and visit to Stellenbosch
Head east into the verdant Cape Winelands region, today, to Stellenbosch, in the heart of this landscape of famous vineyards. With its oak trees, European-style, Cape Dutch houses, and many wine-tasting centres on historic Dorp Street, Stellenbosch is a delightful place to spend a night.
En route, you’ll visit the beautiful Winelands towns of Paarl and Franschhoek, where designer elegance mixes with Victorian grandeur. Later, enjoy an included lunch and tasting at a Stellenbosch wine estate, followed by a walking tour of the delightful town that ends with a glass of bubbly and the chance to sample some local treats.
Day Six: Included visit to the Cango Caves and the Little Karoo
Travel on to Oudtshoorn, the Ostrich Capital of the World, in the heart of the Little Karoo plain. The world’s strangest, largest and often most-valuable bird has been farmed here for 130 years – first for its plumage, and more recently for its high-protein, low-cholesterol meat. Enjoy a taste at your barbecue lunch, before visiting the world-renowned Cango Caves, with their caverns of stalactites and stalagmites.
Later, you’ll continue to the coastal Garden Route resort of Mossel Bay for a two-night stay.
Day Seven: Included Knysna Lagoon cruise
This morning, you’ll travel past the curving coastline of Plettenberg Bay to Tsitsikamma National Park. Here, the luxuriant undergrowth stretches right to the ocean’s edge, providing habitats for birds, monkeys and small antelope, the famous Big Tree, an 800-year-old Yellowwood and a giant among giants, towers overhead.
Later, enjoy a cruise on beautiful Knysna Lagoon, which hugs the edge of the fascinating Featherbed Nature Reserve, before returning to Mossel Bay for a second night.
Day Eight: Included games drive at the Garden Route Game Lodge
Journey via the historic, sleepy harbour town of Mossel Bay to the Garden Route Game Lodge, in the heart of a privately operated reserve where you’ll spend the next two days. During your stay here, in the shadow of the Langeberg mountains, you’ll enjoy all the wonders of safari game drives to see the Big Five (lions, rhino, elephants, leopards and buffalo) while staying in comfortable lodges and enjoying typical African dinners looking out over the reserve.
This afternoon, enjoy your first game drive, then perhaps enjoy a sun-downer beside the authentic Boma (camp fire) before dinner.
Day Nine: Two included game drives
A second day at the Lodge begins with a pre-breakfast game drive, and also includes a visit to the reserve’s fascinating reptile centre. Enjoy some free time for a siesta – perhaps by the pool – before setting off on a second evening game drive and enjoying another memorable dinner under the stars.
Day 10: Travel to Hermanus
After a final early morning game drive, you’ll journey west to Hermanus. This famous port is a whale-watching centre from July to November, and a year-round seaside resort. Departures between September and November will include a whale-watching cruise when you stop here, as well as a visit to the Whale Museum and the colourful country market. Later, enjoy a fantastic seafood dinner surrounded by the roar and spray of the ocean at Bietangs Cave.
Day 11: Travel to the Cape and return flight
After breakfast you’ll begin your last scenic day of touring and make the dramatic descent from Sir Lowry’s Pass onto the Cape Flats. Take in the spectacular views of distant Table Mountain – and visit a winery in beautiful Helderberg for some final tastings. Enjoy a farewell lunch in the Winelands area, before returning to Cape Town airport to check in for your overnight flight home via Johannesburg.
Day 12: Arrive in the UK
You’ll land back home this morning, at the end of a wonderful holiday in South Africa.
Cape Town, the Garden Route & Big Five Safari
- Other UK airports also available
- 7th October 2020
- 14th October 2020
- 16th November 2020
- 23rd February 2021
- 29th April 2021
- 17th May 2021
- 30th May 2021
- 18th September 2021
- 26th September 2021
- 8th October 2021
- 23rd October 2021
- 7th November 2021
- 27th January 2022
- 28th April 2022
- 16th May 2022
- 31st May 2022
- 25th September 2022
- 7th October 2022