For 2020, our flagship Grand European Tour takes us on a fascinating adventure featuring German gems, the beautiful city of Prague, Austrian jewels, Swiss delights and a taste of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.
We discover the Hanseatic City of Bremen, home to a UNESCO World Heritage gothic town hall; Hamburg, a city steeped in history yet at the forefront of modernity and iconic Berlin, with its neoclassical Brandenburg Gate and the soaring Berliner Fernsheturm tower.
Then it’s Prague, known as the city of a Hundred Spires, and where its glorious towers, palaces and town houses all reflect in the shimmering River Vlatava.
Our adventure continues into Austria where we enjoy a guided tour of Salzburg’s Sound of Music filming locations.
Switzerland is our next delight where we stay in lovely Lucerne, then our final country on our European epic is enchanting Luxembourg, a fairytale haven with picture postcard hamlets.
- Return coach travel from Inverurie, Aberdeen, Stonehaven, Forfar, Dundee, Perth or Edinburgh
- 15 nights’ accommodation with dinner, bed and breakfast – 2 nights’ on board the ferry, 2 nights’ at the Hotel Landgut Horn, Bremen, 2 nights’ at the H2 Hotel Berlin, 3 night’s at Hotel Duo, Prague, 1 night at Hotel Unterwirt, Saalbach, 3 nights’ at Lucerne’s Hotel Waldstatterhof and 2 nights’ at the Grand Hotel de Vianden, Luxenbourg
- A guided walking tour of Bremen learning all about the splendid architecture and stunning statues
- Visit to the neoclassical Brandenburg Gate, the glass domed Reichstag, the holocaust memorial and Eastside Gallery – graffitied remains of the Berlin Wall
- A trip to Prague’s Choco Story Museum and the Staropramen Brewery for a presentation of the process of brewing beer
- In Salzburg we have a guided tour of the filming locations for the 1964 movie the Sound of Music
- A guided tour around Lucerne as well as time to continue exploring at your own pace
- A sightseeing cruise around Lucerne’s harbour aboard the luxury yacht, MS Saphir
- Comfortable coach travel throughout
- Services of a holiday host
Single supplements apply. Subject to availability.
Grand European Tour Itinerary
We make our way to our overnight ferry to the continent enjoying dinner, entertainment and breakfast onboard.
We continue to the Hotel Landgut Horn in Bremen for our two night stay.
A guided walking tour, learning all about Bremen’s splendid architecture and stunning statues. In the afternoon, we set sail on a scenic cruise on the River Weser, taking in this handsome city from the water.
We check out and make our way to Hamburg where an amble through its Old Town presents an appealing scene of seventeenth century merchants’ residences that nowadays house laid back cafes. We continue to Berlin to check in to the H2 Hotel Berlin for our two night stay.
A guided coach tour of Berlin this morning as we take in sights such as the neoclassical Brandenburg Castle, the glass domed Reichstag, the holocaust memorial and Eastside Gallery – graffitied remains of the Berlin Wall. Later, we head to Checkpoint Charlie where we visit the intriguing museum.
After breakfast, we’re off to Prague to check in to the Hotel Duo for three nights.
We visit Prague’s Choco Story Museum where we learn the history of cocoa, watch the production of pralines and scoff as much chocolate as we like! We move on to the Staropramen Brewery for a presentation of the process of brewing beer taking us through the brew house and lager cellars before we wash our earlier chocolate feast down with some beer tasting.
A day at leisure to explore and enjoy Prague at your own pace. Marvel at ninth century Prague Castle and be amazed by the baroque St Nicholas Church, stroll the Gothic Old Town, wander around fabled Wenceslas Square and listen to the street musicians as you cross iconic Charles Bridge.
We check out and head to Austria and to the Hotel Unterwirt in Saalbach.
We travel to Slazburg for a guided tour of the filming locations for the 1964 movie the Sound of Music. Sights include Mirabell Garden, Pegasus Fountain, Nonnberg Convent where Maria was a novice and Church Mondsee where Maria and the Baron got married as well as Schloss Leopoldskron – the house where the Trapp family lived.
We check out and make our way to Switzerland and to Lucerne’s Hotel Waldstatterhof for our three night stay.
Let’s start the day with a guided walking tour of Lucerne through the narrow alleys and taking in highlights and hidden gems such as the main square, ancient Chapel Bridge and the Lion of Lucerne. Afterwards, continue exploring at your own pace.
Wow! All aboard the luxury yacht, MS Saphir for a sightseeing cruise around Lucerne’s harbour, feasting our eyes on this striking city. The afternoon brings more free time to experience Lucerne.
We check out and travel to Luxembourg to check into the Grand Hotel de Vianden.
A free morning in Viaden. Perhaps catch the chairlift taking you over the River Our or visit the castle. One of the most beautiful residences from the gothic and Romanesque periods, inside this enchanted fortress you’ll find sumptuous bedrooms, lavish banqueting halls and an opulent chapel. From here, we head to our ferry back to the UK with dinner, entertainment and breakfast on board.
We make our way home.