India, a unique country and civilisation, is a mindboggling potpourri of sights, sounds, colours and experiences as well as a culture-shock of astonishing contrasts.
Immerse yourself in this tour and prepare for a revamp of any preconceptions towards one of the world’s ‘must-see’ destinations!
On selected departures our tour continues on to the hill-station of Shimla, effectively the summer capital of India during the Raj. At over 7,300ft, the cooler climate made this the ideal location to escape from the searing summer temperatures on the plains below.
Surrounded by vast forests of teak and pine and located across a long ridge with steep mountainous terrain on all sides, Shimla was not the easiest place to get to. But Victorian engineers managed to build one of the marvels of Indian Railways, the 96-kilometre narrow-gauge line to Shimla, which is now a UNESCO World Heritage site. Our journey ‘clickety-clicks’ along those very tracks laid by those intrepid imperial engineers more than a century ago.
From the flawless grandeur of the Taj Mahal, to the mighty fortresses of Rajasthan and from the reminders of past glories of the Raj in Delhi to the teeming markets of Jaipur, our India tour encompasses the very best of northern India, ensuring a lifetime of truly amazing memories.
- Return travel from the UK with premium economy upgrades available at a supplement plus transfers to and from the hotel included
- Hand-picked accommodation rated three to five-stars, including all local taxes, with breakfast and eight meals included
- A wonderful tour of northern India’s ‘Golden Triangle’
- See the breathtaking Taj Mahal bathed in soft morning light, gazing in awe at the simple purity of its white marble and the exquisite craftsmanship of its inlay work
- Travel on the famous Shimla railway on board a classic toy train for Kalka and stay for 3 nights in Shimla
- City tours of both Old and New Delhi seeing all the major sights
- Enjoy a guided tour of the 400-year-old deserted Moghul city of Fatehpur Sikri
- Driving safari in Ranthambore National Park, the best place in India to spot the elusive tigers
- Explore the ‘Pink City’ of Jaipur, capital of the desert kingdom of Rajasthan with a guided city tour
- Marvel at the extraordinary location and beauty of Amber Fort, home of one of India’s most powerful maharajas
- Stay in an original Rajasthani fort, converted into a stunning Heritage Hotel
- Guided tour of the Viceregal Lodge in Shimla plus a walking tour of the city
- Services of our experienced tour manager
Subject to availability. Single supplements apply.
For more information or to book, please call 01283 742300 or click here
India & Shimla Extension
- London Heathrow
- Other UK airports also available
- 28th January 2021
- 8th February 2021
- 15th February 2021
- 22nd February 2021
- 25th February 2021
- 1st March 2021
- 11th March 2021
- 18th March 2021
- 25th March 2021
- 29th March 2021
- 8th April 2021
- 19th April 2021
- 26th April 2021
- 29th April 2021
- 4th October 2021
- 11th October 2021
- 21st October 2021
- 28th October 2021
- 8th November 2021
- 15th November 2021
- 22nd November 2021