Offshore islets, stunning gardens and delightful shore-side towns – this is our Lake Maggiore Resort holiday.
Join us for a memorable holiday in one of Europe’s most romantic regions, where languid blue waters lap a verdant shoreline fringed by gentle rolling hills. Dotted with some truly elegant and serene resorts, the area lends itself perfectly to rest and relaxation, coupled with gentle exploration.
- Fly direct from Edinburgh – departs various dates until October 2020 – from £799pp
- Dates and prices on this page are based on departures flying from Edinburgh only
- Flights also available from airports in England – Belfast International, Bristol, Gatwick, Luton, Southend, Stansted & Manchester – click here for more information on dates & prices.
Lake Maggiore Resort Stay Tour Highlights:
- Relax and enjoy the amenities at your chosen hotel
- Stroll along the picturesque lake-shore
- Lunch in a shore-side cafe or restaurant
- Enjoy a delicious ice cream in the sun
- Visit the stunning gardens of the Borromean Isles and the Villa Taranto
- Take the cable car to Monte Mottarone
- Cruise to a far flung lake resort
- Window shop in Stresa’s elegant streets
- Join optional excursions to Turin, Barolo and Switzerland’s Zermatt, beneath the Matterhorn
- Seven nights’ bed and breakfast or half-board accommodation in your chosen Lake Maggiore hotel
- Return flights from your chosen UK airport to Italy
- Return airport-to-hotel transfers
- The services of a friendly, experienced resort-based Manager
Single supplements apply. Subject to availability.
Lake Maggiore Resort Itinerary
Optional Borromean Islands & Villa Taranto Day Trip
Explore beautiful Maggiore, Italy’s second largest lake, mountain-backed and famed for the beautiful gardens that line its shores. Board a water-taxi or steamer for the crossing to the idyllic Borromean Islands. Visit stunning Isola Bella, with its 17th-century Baroque palace and water gardens, charmingly picturesque Isola dei Pescatori, inhabited by a community of fishermen and a perfect stop for a lunch of lake fish. A perfect day is completed with a visit to Verbania, where the world-famous gardens of Villa Taranto, created by an ex-pat Scotsman, are even more stunning than those of the islands’.
Optional Lake Como Tour
Join our optional excursion to beautiful Lake Como and head into Lombardy to discover another one of Italy’s most picturesque regions. Enjoying visits to exquisite Bellagio and elegant Como Town before returning to your hotel.
Optional Alba and Castle Barolo Day Trip
Take an optional excursion to visit Alba and Castle Barolo. Enjoy a tour of Alba, with its historical centre and 100 towers, best known for being the gastronomic home of precious white truffles and dark chocolate. After a fascinating few hours, head further south, where the vineyards of Barolo produce the ‘king of Italian wines’. No visit to the area is complete without enjoying a tasting at the Castello di Barolo, an enoteca within the turreted walls of the ancient castle – the final highlight of an enjoyable day.
Optional Zermatt Excursion
Choose to join an optional excursion to world-famous Swiss resort Zermatt, towered over by the craggy pyramid of the Matterhorn. Travel via the Simplon Pass into Switzerland, climbing high into the Alps, hoping for clear skies to catch your first sight of perhaps the world’s most photographed peak. Take the optional journey on the famous Gornergrat Railway as you head through alpine meadows to the summit station. From here, on a clear day, some 29 peaks – including of course the Matterhorn – and great glaciers form an unforgettable view. Head out on a mountain trail or simply take in the view before enjoying lunch in the mountain restaurant.
Optional Day Trip to Turin
Join an optional excursion to the stately capital of Piedmont, Turin. The city sits nestled at the foot of the Alps and boasts a Baroque heart at glittering odds with its industrious reputation. Wander down Via Roma, with its ultra-chic stores, cross grand Piazza San Carlo with its elegant facades, and perhaps pause for coffee and a pastry in any number of ornate, traditional cafes. The curious might check the cathedral, where the Turin Shroud is kept under lock and key.
- Other UK airports also available
- 7th October 2020
- 5th May 2021
- 12th May 2021
- 19th May 2021
- 26th May 2021
- 2nd June 2021
- 9th June 2021
- 16th June 2021
- 23rd June 2021
- 30th June 2021
- 25th August 2021
- 1st September 2021
- 8th September 2021
- 15th September 2021
- 22nd September 2021
- 29th September 2021
- 6th October 2021
- 13th October 2021