Many visitors to Portugal head straight to the beaches of the Algarve, overlooking the many historical and cultural highlights of this fascinatingly varied country. For the discerning traveller, however, there is so much to discover, including vibrant cities, majestic palaces and cathedrals, the beautiful Douro Valley and delicious produce, most famously port dessert wine.
Today Portugal is a country of great contrasts; it’s modern in many ways yet still has one foot firmly set in its past. Full of history and appeal and spared from large-scale industrialisation, its well-preserved medieval towns with their tiny cobbled streets are delightful to explore.
Portugal’s landscapes are stunning. You’ll experience them in full – from coastal forests, wild seascapes, fertile fields and dramatic valleys to sweeping biscuit-coloured hillsides covered with olive trees, fragrant pine forests and lush meadows.
- Return travel from a selection of regional airports and transfers to and from your hotel included
- Seven nights’ in four and five-star accommodation including all local taxes, with breakfast and three dinners
- Guided tour of Lisbon with its magnificent squares, Baixa and Moorish quarters, including a visit to the astounding Monastery of Jeronimos
- Visit to Sintra and its Royal Palace including entrance fees – summer residence of the Portuguese monarchy
- Guided tour of Oporto, centre of the port wine trade, including a visit and tasting at Taylor’s wine lodge
- Full day touring the Douro, one of Europe’s most dramatically beautiful river valleys
- See the holy shrine of Fatima and visit Coimbra University, one of Europe’s oldest seats of learning with its astonishing gilded Baroque library, with entrance fees included
- Visit the 13th century walled city of Obidos, with its cobbled streets and lofty medieval fortifications
- Services of an experienced tour manager
Subject to availability. Single supplements apply.
For more information or to book, please call 01283 742300 or click here.
Please note, price based on flying direct from Edinburgh – departing various dates until September 2020. Other airports and dates available, click here to view more.