Madeira may be tiny, but this subtropical paradise offers world-renowned gardens, spectacular coastlines and jagged peaks, while picturesque Funchal boasts an architectural charm and rich maritime heritage to match the island’s natural splendour.
Rising from the ocean floor 600 miles southwest of Lisbon, Madeira captures the hearts of all who visit. With fertile volcanic soil, the island is a plant-lover’s dream with an enormous diversity of species, from imported purple-blossomed jacaranda trees, orchids and bird of paradise plants to its native Laurisilva forest. So much flourishes here in its mild climate all year round, making it a superb destination through autumn and winter.
- Return flights from a selection of regional airports, with transfers to and from your hotel
- Seven nights’ accommodation in a four-star hotel inclusive of all local taxes, with breakfast and four dinners
- Guided walking tour of the old town of picturesque Funchal, often called ‘Little Lisbon’
- Enjoy a tasting of the delicious and world-famous Madeira wines
- Visit to the beautiful Palheiro Gardens, featured in The Gardener’s Garden showcasing a collection of inspirational gardens
- Visit to the mysterious Curral das Freiras or the ‘Valley of the Nuns’, and see why this was the ideal sanctuary for a convent of nuns
- Visit to Câmara de Lobos, the inspiration for some of Sir Winston Churchill’s paintings
- Guided visit of superb Monte Palace Tropical Gardens, where local flora species thrive alongside exotic blooms
- Discover the eastern coast, seeing Ponta do Rosto the easternmost point; the UNESCO-listed Ribeiro Frio forest park; and Pico do Arieiro, Madeira’s third highest peak with astonishing views
- Explore the western area of the island, including Cabo Girão, Europe’s highest cape at 580m; Porto Moniz with its natural rock pools; and the Bridal Veil, one of Madeira’s most famous waterfalls
- The services of our experienced and insightful tour manager
Subject to availability. Single supplements apply.
For more information or to book, please call 01283 742300 or click here.
Please note, price based on flying from Edinburgh – departs various dates until October 2020. Other airports and dates available, click here to view more.