In Norway’s northernmost reaches, be captivated by the beauty, remoteness and eerie silence of remarkable landscapes and destinations found amongst isolated lands within the Arctic Circle.
You’re in for magical scenic cruising and many unforgettable explorations ashore, with two days in Spitsbergen – found just 700 nautical miles from the North Pole – top on the list of highlights.
Time in Longyearbyen and Pyramiden is something not many get to experience; these far-away towns, situated amongst scenes of stunning Arctic landscapes, offer an insight into the Svalbard archipelago’s Soviet-influenced history, with their imposing architecture and abandoned mineshafts.
Go inside abandoned buildings and wander amongst the industrial communities that thrived here, meet huskies and their handlers, and much more, for a taste of what life was once like and how it is for locals today. Your time in Svalbard also includes memorable sails by the by the magnificent Nordenskiöldbreen and Tuna glaciers, as well as the jaw-dropping stratifications of Tempelfjorden’s Temple Mountain.
Extraordinary destinations on the Norwegian mainland also await discovery during your Arctic adventure. Sailing all the way to the ‘top of Europe’, Balmoral takes you to Honningsvåg, from where you can revel in the unspoilt, rugged landscapes of the North Cape plateau. Spend a day in Tromsø, with time to visit the iconic Arctic Cathedral and take in views from atop Mount Storsteinen, and enjoy a rare visit to the beautiful Vesterålen archipelago, to discover miles of rugged coastline, unspoilt countryside and the ‘Blue Town’ of Sortland – almost entirely painted in various blue hues thanks to artist Bjorn Elvenes.
Scenic cruising by the mighty Black Glacier will provide a glimpse of Mother Nature’s work at its finest, while you’ll also be within the Arctic Circle during the Midnight Sun phenomenon, when the sun does not set at night. Elsewhere in Norway, visit Åndalsnes for a chance to ride the magnificent Rauma Railway into fjordland mountains; and witness the beauty of natural wonders including the Torghatten and Seven Sisters mountains, Trollfjord and Devil’s Jaw.
What You’ll Love
- Experience a taste of past and present life amongst the isolated lands of Spitsbergen
- Explore abandoned towns, revel in the beauty of their Arctic landscapes and more
- Witness the midnight sun and see astonishing natural wonders within the Arctic Circle
- Comfortable, stylish cabins and suites equipped with a Smart TV, hairdryer, tea and coffee making facilities, a fridge and individually controlled air conditioning
- A tempting choice of cuisine every day throughout your cruise – with five-course à la carte dinners, casual breakfast and lunch buffets, late-night snacks and much more
- Unlimited, self-service tea and coffee available 24hrs at selected venues, complimentary afternoon tea* with sandwiches and cakes, and in-room sandwiches and snacks
- A full programme of evening entertainment, including cabaret shows, comedy, dancing and live music
- Full use of on board leisure facilities, including swimming pools, Jacuzzis and gym
- A wide choice of engaging on board activities and lectures throughout the day
- All UK port taxes (where collectable in advance)
- Luggage porterage between your cabin and the drop-off/pick-up point
- Formal welcome and/or Captain’s Drinks Party and Gala Buffet