This picturesque early autumn Orkney & Shetland Mini Cruise combines coastal scenery with fascinating history. Orkney boasts inspirational landscapes where verdant fields stretch down to pristine beaches and dramatic seas crash against towering cliffs. The island’s attractions include the circle of standing stones known as the Ring of Brodgar, the harbour of Stromness and Skara Brae – a Stone Age settlement that predates the Pyramids.
Romantic Shetland is equally beautiful with a craggy coastline peppered with arches and caves. Ancient Lerwick is the county town and the isle boasts Bronze Age, Viking and Medieval settlements as well as Jarlshof – one of the most remarkable archaeological sites ever excavated. We explore these enchanting islands aboard a stylish Northlink Ferry as well as from our hotel in Kirkwall.
- Return coach travel from Inverurie, Aberdeen, Stonehaven, Forfar, Dundee, Perth or Edinburgh
- 4 nights’ accommodation with dinner, bed and breakfast – 1 night on board the ferry and 3 nights’ hotel accommodation staying at the Kirkwall Hotel, Kirkwall
- A tour of the Jarlshof archaeological site as well as Scalloway Castle
- Visit the World Heritage sites of Skara Brae, the Standing Stones of Stenness, Ring of Brodgar, plus Skaill House, Churchill Barriers, Italian Chapel and Scapa Flow
- Enjoy some free time in Lerwick and Kirkwall
- Comfortable coach travel throughout
- Services of a holiday host
Single supplements apply. Subject to availability.
Orkney & Shetland Mini Cruise Itinerary
Join the coach at your pickup point (or join direct at port), meet your host then relax as we make our way to Aberdeen Ferry Terminal to board our Northlink Ferry and set sail to Lerwick. Enjoy dinner on board then relax in the lounge bar or catch a movie at the cinema before retiring to your comfortable, en suite cabin.
We arrive in Lerwick and tuck into breakfast on board before meeting up with our local guide. Today’s tour includes the Jarlshof archaeological site as well as Scalloway Castle, a tower house dating back to 1600 and built by the Earl of Orkney. Following some free time in Lerwick, we rejoin our ship for an early evening departure to Kirkwall, capital of the Orkney Isles. Enjoy dinner on board before our late night arrival at Kirkwall and transfer to our hotel.
After breakfast we meet up with our local guide and visit the World Heritage sites of Skara Brae, the Standing Stones of Stenness, Ring of Brodgar, plus Skaill House, Churchill Barriers, Italian Chapel and Scapa Flow. We then have some free time in Kirkwall before our tour of St Magnus Cathedral. We return to our hotel late afternoon to relax before dinner.
After breakfast we rejoin our ferry at Stromness for our scenic sail past Britain’s highest vertical cliffs and the fabled Old Man of Hoy. After disembarking, we return to our joining points.