Both having endured violent interludes to a glittering cultural history, now returned to their former glory, continuing an incredibly thought-provoking journey.
- Four nights in four-star superior accommodation with breakfast
- A welcome dinner to get to know your travelling companions
- Guided tour of Berlin, probably the 20th century’s most tumultuous city, now home to Norman Foster’s Reichstag, Checkpoint Charlie, the DDR (former East Germany) Museum, some of the world’s finest archaeological and fine art museums plus an eclectic ambience
- Walking tour of Dresden, ‘Florence of the Elbe’, home to one of the world’s greatest art collections, the astonishingly decorated Frauenkirche, majestic Semper Opera House – a justifiable capital for the Kings of Saxony immortalised so often by Canaletto
- Visit and tour of Europe’s oldest porcelain studio at Meissen
- Visit to Colditz Castle, the famous World War II Prisoner of War camp
- Escorted by our experienced tour manager
- Return flights
DAY 1 Arrival in Berlin
You will be met at your departure airport by our representative before flying to Berlin. On arrival we will transfer to our excellently located hotel, the four-star superior Berlin Maritim, where the group can enjoy a relaxing welcome dinner and a chance to break the ice, expertly aided by your tour manager, experienced in delivering the very best tours for solo travellers.
DAY 2 Berlin
This morning our tour manager will take us on a fascinating tour of Germany’s capital city, Berlin, originally two 14th century towns. Get up close to the iconic Brandenburg Gate, marvel at the majestic Reichstag building, and take in the remaining sections of the infamous Berlin Wall, which has now become a work of art in its own right. This afternoon is free for you to explore further with your travelling companions, or strike out on your own. As always, your tour manager will be on hand to help you make the most of your time.
DAY 3 Colditz & Meissen
After breakfast in our hotel we will head south through the rolling Saxony countryside to the mighty Colditz Castle, guarding the town atop a river cliff. We enjoy a fascinating guided tour, where we’re regaled with stories of the notorious escape attempts by Allied soldiers during WWII. There will be time to peruse the modest museum and take in the magnificent views of this now-peaceful town and surroundings. The afternoon sees a change of pace as we head to nearby Meissen, famous for its exquisite porcelain, where we learn all about the delicate and intricate art of fine china on a guided tour. We then continue to Dresden where we check into our splendid four-star superior hotel, the Maritim Hotel or the Hotel Steigenberger, both ideally positioned to enjoy some of Dresden’s excellent nearby restaurants.
DAY 4 Dresden
This morning, we enjoy an enlightening guided tour of Dresden, an incredibly beautiful city with a rich history dating back to the 12th century. It’s hard to believe that the city was almost completely devastated by the allied bombings of 1945 as you stroll past splendid Renaissance and Baroque buildings, many of which were destroyed, and then painstakingly restored. In the afternoon, you have the option to explore the city by yourself, or your tour manager can arrange a relaxing boat journey along the river Elbe in the company of like-minded travellers.
DAY 5 Return Flight
Enjoy breakfast this morning before heading back to Berlin airport for our return flight after a memorable break.