Visiting cities that are the origins of, or known for their links to, some of their country’s renowned cultural and historical gems, enjoy an in-depth discovery of quintessentially Spanish and Portuguese traditions.
There are highlights to look forward to throughout this journey, including time in Lisbon to delve into the history of Portugal’s capital, amongst its centuries-old monuments such as Belem Tower and Jeronimos Monastery.
In Lisbon you’ve a chance to not only eat the city’s famous Pasteis de Nata, but also make your own with a local pastry chef. You’re in for a similar experience in Malaga too; perhaps visit a family-run grove to learn about about the history of local olive oil, how it’s made and to sample some at source, and see the city’s famous fortresses, castles and pieces from Picasso, a Malaga native.
Balmoral docks close to the heart of historic Cádiz, where you’ll find sights such as Torre Tavira and the 18th century cathedral, as well as cafés and restaurants serving traditional tapas, are within easy reach. Here you can engage with Andalusia’s passion for Flamenco dancing, and even learn a few steps from a local Bailaora.
Get a feel for the rich history of Valencia and enjoy a plate or two of delicious, expertly-made paella in the city where it originates; and spend a day in Cartagena, a delight to explore with its abundance of historical and architectural delights, found within the city’s ancient walls and fortifications. Sample a taste of authentic Spanish island life on Menorca too; sun-kissed beaches, landscapes ripe for hiking and charming Mahon await you. Meanwhile in Portugal, in addition to your time in Lisbon, there’s also a visit to Leixoes – gateway to Oporto, where you may with to sample local flavours of port wine and sardines.
What You’ll Love
- Experience an in-depth discovery of quintessentially Spanish and Portuguese traditions
- Make Pasteis de Nata in Lisbon; learn about Malaga’s local olive oil; and dance Flamenco in Cádiz
- Take in an abundance of historical and cultural highlights in each city you visit
- Comfortable, stylish cabins and suites equipped with a Smart TV, hairdryer, tea and coffee making facilities, a fridge and individually controlled air conditioning
- A tempting choice of cuisine every day throughout your cruise – with five-course à la carte dinners, casual breakfast and lunch buffets, late-night snacks and much more
- Unlimited, self-service tea and coffee available 24hrs at selected venues, complimentary afternoon tea* with sandwiches and cakes, and in-room sandwiches and snacks
- A full programme of evening entertainment, including cabaret shows, comedy, dancing and live music
- Full use of on board leisure facilities, including swimming pools, Jacuzzis and gym
- A wide choice of engaging on board activities and lectures throughout the day
- All UK port taxes (where collectable in advance)
- Luggage porterage between your cabin and the drop-off/pick-up point
- Formal welcome and/or Captain’s Drinks Party and Gala Buffet