This spectacular Austria sightseeing holiday is based in Brandenberg, a picturesque village on an elevated plain in the Austrian state of Tyrol, amid chocolate box scenery. Treats include a nostalgic trip on the Achensee Steam Cog Railway, the oldest of its kind in Europe, it has puffed its way up the mountain to Lake Achensee since 1889. Afterwards, we enjoy a relaxing cruise on the shimmering lake. Other gems include a guided walking tour of Innsbruck a day in Salzburg – forever associated with Mozart and The Sound of Music. Our final outing takes us to the landmark resort of Kitzbuhel.
- Return coach travel from Inverurie, Aberdeen, Stonehaven, Forfar, Dundee, Perth or Edinburgh
- 11 nights’ accommodation with dinner, bed and breakfast – 2 nights’ on board the ferry, 9 night’s hotel accommodation, with 7 nights’ staying at the Hotel Gasthof Ascherwift, Brandenberg
- A spectacular ride up the mountain on the Achensee Steam Cog Railway
- 2 free days to explore Innsbruck and a guided walking tour of the historic city
- Visit to Salzburg where sights include Mozart’s birthplace, the glorious Hohensalzburg Castle and stately Mirabell Palace as well as the locations where The Sound of Music was filmed in 1964
- Time to explore the walled Old Town of Kitzbühel
- Comfortable coach travel throughout
- Services of a holiday host
Single supplements apply. Subject to availability.
Spectacular Austria Itinerary
We head to our overnight ferry to the continent enjoying dinner, entertainment and breakfast onboard.
We continue to our dinner, bed and breakfast stop.
Arriving in Austria, we check into the Hotel Gasthof Ascherwirt where our stay includes water, beer, house wine, soft drinks, tea or coffee with evening meals.
Today we travel to Jenback to board our carriage for a spectacular ride up the mountain on the Achensee Steam Cog Railway. Reaching the top, we board our boat for a picturesque cruise on Lake Achensee. Afterwards, we re-join our coach to visit the alpine resort of Mayrhofen in the Zillertal Valley.
We head to Innsbruck for a guided walking tour. This historic city boasts fascinating sights such as the Hofkirche gothic church, Stadtturm medieval tower, the imperial Hofburg Castle and the Goldenes Dachl – a ‘golden roof’ that was constructed for the Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I.
Two free days to relax or explore.
Salzburg is our destination today where sights include Mozart’s birthplace, the glorious Hohensalzburg Castle and stately Mirabell Palace as well as the locations where The Sound of Music was filmed in 1964. Perhaps make use of the local hop on, hop off bus to see all the main attractions.
Today’s excursion is to internationally-renowned Kitzbühel. Explore the walled Old Town, take a cable car ride up the mighty mountain for spectacular views or enjoy a coffee and strudel in one of the pavement cafés.
We check out and make our way to our dinner, bed and breakfast hotel.
We continue to our overnight ferry back to the UK enjoying dinner, entertainment and breakfast on board.
We make our way home.