Relax and “let the train take the strain” as you explore a world of green pastures, wooden chalets, forests and distant peaks, as you take a trip along some of Austria’s most memorable vintage rail routes. Visit Innsbruck, and enjoy warm Tyrolean hospitality as you stay amid the green valleys of the Zillertal Alps.
- Fly direct from Edinburgh – departs various dates until October 2020 – from £949pp
- Dates and prices on this page are based on departures flying from Edinburgh only
- Flights also available from airports in England and Wales – Birmingham, Cardiff, Durham Tees Valley, London Gatwick, London Heathrow, London Luton, London Stansted, Manchester & Newcastle – click here for more information on dates and prices
Steam Railways of Austria Tour Highlights
- Explore Innsbruck, the imperial Tyrolean capital
- Travel on the lovingly maintained vintage trains of the Achensee Cog Railway
- Optional excursions to Salzburg and the spectacular Krimml Falls
- Seven nights’ half-board accommodation at the three-star Hotel Erzherzog Johann, Uderns
- A ride on the Zillertal Steam Railway and Achensee Cog Railway
- Visits to Innsbruck and Lake Achensee
- Return flights from the UK to Munich
- Comfortable, air-conditioned coach travel and transfers
- Fully escorted by a friendly, experienced Tour Manager
Single supplements apply. Subject to availability.
Fly to Munich and transfer to your hotel in Ried im Zillertal, which lies at the heart of the Zillertal Valley, surrounded by green meadows and forested hills.
Join today’s included excursion on the historic, narrow-gauge Zillertal Steam Railway*. Enjoy a glass of warming schnapps as you journey through stunning Tyrolean scenery from Jenbach to the chic ski resort of Mayrhofen, in the shadow of the great Hintertux Glacier. Explore the resort, or perhaps take a cable-car ride (payable locally) and enjoy the panorama from the terrace of a mountain restaurant.
Discover Salzburg – the ‘Sound of Music’ city and birthplace of Mozart – on today’s optional excursion. Beneath the imposing Hohensalzburg castle and beside the Salzach river, Salzburg is a treasure-trove of onion-domed churches, elegant squares and cobbled thoroughfares. Don’t miss the Castle, which towers 400 feet above the city, and offers predictably wonderful views, or the exquisite Dom cathedral with its frescoes.
Today’s destination is the imperial city of Innsbruck. We’ll enter the city through the triumphal arch built to celebrate Archduke Leopold’s marriage, and our guided tour will reveal the old town, elegant Maria-Theresien-Strasse (the main street) and the famous copper-tiled ‘Golden Roof’ built for Emperor Maximillian I. Stop for coffee and cake at one of the cafes before we continue to the Olympic ski-jump at Bergisel, and onward to Ambras Castle, in the hills above the city, to see the exquisite portraits and carvings of the Spanish Hall and the bizzare paintings in the Chamber of Art and Curiosities.
Rest and relax in Ried im Zillertal today, or join our optional excursion to Tratzberg Castle. Perched high in the woods above Jenbach, the 500-year-old castle’s white walls protect a beautifully preserved Renaissance courtyard and the ornate genealogical murals of the Habsburg Hall, and are reached by a ‘tourist train’ from the castle inn below. Later, see skilled local craftsmen at work blowing glass, working with crystal and – most important – taste traditionally baked Apfelstrudel on a stop in the Tyrol’s smallest town, Rattenberg.
On today’s included excursion we’ll ride the Achenseebahn’s narrow-gauge cog railway* from Jenbach to Lake Achensee. The lake is the Tyrol’s largest body of water and its beach-fringed, wooded shores are popular with local bathers, and you’ll have time to relax here, or board a lake-steamer for a cruise turquoise waters (payable locally).
Our final optional excursion includes a ride on the historic Pinzgauer Lokalbahn, beneath the Kitzbuhler Alps and through Hohe Tauern National Park to the Krimml Falls. Walk to the foot of the falls, and follow the path up the Krimmler Ache valley alongside the three-tiered torrent, before we return to Ried im Zillertal for a final dinner at the hotel.
Say goodbye to your Tyrolean hosts, today, as we board the coach and return to the airport to catch your flight home.
Steam Railways of Austria Tour
- Other UK airports also available
- 8th May 2020
- 15th May 2020
- 5th June 2020
- 12th June 2020
- 19th June 2020
- 4th September 2020
- 11th September 2020
- 18th September 2020
- 25th September 2020
- 2nd October 2020