Enjoy all the comforts and amenities of a celebrated resort in the Swiss Alps, including lighted-hearted fun in the snow on this wonderful wintertime break.
Head to beautiful, breathtaking Switzerland for a few winter-warming days in idyllic Château-d’Oex, a welcoming, internationally celebrated resort set in a wide valley between Lake Geneva and the glorious Bernese Oberland. In addition to the chance to enjoy the village’s range of amenities and attractions, enjoy some marvellous wintertime activities, including snowshoe walking, dog-sledding and even cross-country skiing. With the chance to visit chic lakeside Montreux on an optional excursion, this is picture-postcard perfection.
Swiss Alps Available Departures
- Fly from Edinburgh – various dates available until April 2021 – from £845pp
- Dates and prices on this page are based on departures flying from Edinburgh only
- Flights also available from other UK airports – Birmingham, Bournemouth, Liverpool John Lennon, London Gatwick, London Luton, London Soutthend, London Stansted, Manchester, Newcastle & Teesside International – click here for more information on available dates and prices
Swiss Alps Tour Highlights
- Enjoy a guided nature walk with the chance to try snow-shoeing
- An exciting dog-sledding experience with a warming fondue lunch
- Introduction to cross-country skiing on an optional excursion
- Visit the village’s fascinating Hot Air Balloon and Cheese museums
- Join an atmospheric torch-lit walk, followed by a vin chaud
- Discover lakeside Montreux on an optional excursion
- Five nights’ dinner, bed and breakfast accommodation at the three-star Roc et Neige Hotel, Château-d’Oex
- Return flights to Geneva
- Coach travel and transfers throughout
- Fully escorted by a friendly, experienced tour manager
- A guided nature walk with a chance to try snow-shoeing
- Dog sledding, followed by a fondue lunch
- A torchlit walk from the hotel
Single supplements apply. Offer is subject to availability.
Swiss Alps Itinerary
Day One – Fly to Switzerland
Fly to Geneva, meet your tour manager and make the scenic transfer by coach to Château-d’Oex and your hotel, travelling along the shore of Lake Geneva before heading up to your beautiful holiday base. Settle in and get to know your surroundings, and depending upon your time of arrival, wrap up warm to take a stroll through the village before dinner.
Day Two – Guided walk through a wintry landscape
By way of introduction to the beautiful Pays-d’Enhaut ‘high country’ region, don snowshoes if you wish (and the weather permits!) to join a delightful guided nature walk through the surrounding forests and pastures of the beautiful valley. Your guide will keep a look out for signs of winter wildlife, as the snowy landscape makes it easier to spot the tracks of local squirrels, foxes, rabbits, badgers and deer. Keep your eyes peeled and ears opened for the familiar sound of woodpeckers in the surrounding trees and enjoy uncovering the local flora and fauna with our local expert guide.
Back in the village, which has been a favourite of Newmarket guests for over 30 years, there’s a super sports complex and ten-pin bowling for the energetic to enjoy, while a trio of fascinating museums chronicle life in this corner of Switzerland, the history of cheese-making, and, thanks to the village’s world renown as a hot-air-balloon centre, the magnificent men (and women) and their flying baskets! (payable locally). Bars, restaurants and shops, a cable car to the heights above, and a warm welcome from friendly locals complete a perfect holiday picture.
After a first wonderful day, enjoy dinner in the hotel.
Day Three – Dog sledding adventure
After breakfast today, board the coach to make the short journey to nearby Les Diablerets, a colourful village-resort set beneath the towering peaks from which it takes its name. Here, in addition to the chance to explore, you’ll enjoy the exhilarating experience of a dog-sled ride, joining the musher and the team of Alaskan huskies on a snowy adventure through the wintry landscape, before enjoying a warming lunch of traditional fondue – cheese-making Gruyères lies nearby. Return to Château-d’Oex for the rest of the day.
Day Four – At leisure or optional visit to lakeside Montreaux
Today brings an opportunity to enjoy the delights of Château-d’Oex, or to join an optional excursion to the Lake Geneva resort of Montreux. Travel down through the slumbering vineyards of the Valais, to the fashionable watering hole with its elegant shops, cafés and restaurants. A shore-side promenade leads to iconic Château Chillon, amongst Switzerland’s most photographed landmarks, while across the lake, on fine days, the jagged, snow-capped peaks of the Dents du Midi mountain range are an arresting sight.
After a pleasant few hours, return to Château-d’Oex for a special evening, during which all guests can join a fun torch-lit walk through the village, ending with a glass of warming vin chaud
Day Five – An optional taste of cross-country skiing
Adding immeasurably to the fun of your stay, today brings a chance to try the sport of cross-country skiing on an optional excursion, as you head to the nearby Saanenland region for a chance to try your hand at cross-country skiing under the watchful eye of an experienced instructor. For those not keen to try, spend the day in Château-d’Oex before a last evening reliving the fun and adventure of the last few days.
Day Six – Fly back to the UK
Bid farewell to your Alpine idyll, returning to Geneva Airport for the return flight back to the UK, after a wonderful wintertime adventure.