Journey to Fjord’s of Western Norway – one of the world’s most delightful destinations. Few places can match the spectacle of this breathtaking region where sheer mountainsides plunge into the deep, dark waters of the Norwegian fjords, and where soaring peaks tower over unspoilt forests, lakes and pristine glaciers.
Fjords of Western Norway Available Departures:
- Dates and prices published on this page are for the departures flying from Aberdeen, Edinburgh & Glasgow only
- Fly from Aberdeen – various dates available until September 2020 – from £1340
- Fly from Edinburgh – various dates available until September 2020 – from £1279
- Fly from Glasgow – various dates available until September 2020 – from £1279
- Dates and prices on this page are based on departures flying from Aberdeen, Edinburgh or Glasgow only
- Flights also available from other UK airports – Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Dublin, Durham Tees Valley, Humberside, Leeds Bradford, London City, London Gatwick, Manchester, Newcastle & Norwich – click here for more information on available dates and prices.
- Staying in a four-star Swiss-style fjord-side hotel
- A journey by boat through spectacular scenery to Bergen
- Discovering the region on a fascinating Fjord-Life tour
- Touring Norway’s interior on unforgettable optional excursions to the vast Jostedal Glacier, and to Mydal, Flam and Gudvangen
- Buffet-style meals served in a fine restaurant overlooking the Fjord
- A warm welcome, stunning scenery and beautiful views
- Seven nights’ half-board accommodation at the Kviknes Hotel in Balestrand, on Sognefjord
- Return flights from the UK to Bergen
- Comfortable, air-conditioned coach travel and transfers
- A cruise to Bergen
- The full-day ‘Fjord-Life’ tour
- The services of a friendly, knowledgeable and experienced Tour Manager
Single supplements apply. Subject to availability.
Fjords of Western Norway Itinerary
Day One: Fly to Norway
Fly to Bergen, meet your Tour Manager and transfer by coach through the spectacular scenery to the idyllic village of Balestrand.
Day Two: Leisure day in Balestrand
Today, get to know Balestrand. Since the late 19th Century, Sognefjord has welcomed visitors searching for clear mountain air and enchanting scenery, and whenever you go, the area’s natural beauty will enchant you, as will the warmth of the welcome virtually everywhere you go.
Day Three: Included Bergen Cruise Excursion
Join your first excursion, today, as we board the morning express boat for a day trip to Bergen – city of cobbled streets and medieval houses, and birthplace of the composer Edvard Grieg. Visit the vibrant harbour and open-air fish market, stroll past the wooden warehouses of Bryggen and perhaps take a seven-minute trip on the Floibanen funicular up ‘Mount’ Floyen.
Day Four: Optional Jostedal Glacier excursion
Join us for today’s optional visit to the Jostedal Glacier, mainland Europe’s largest ice-floe. This mesmerising mass of ice covers 487 square kilometres in the heart of an even larger national park threaded with icy glacial rivers fed by the glacier’s melt water. See the glacier up close, and learn more about its slowly shifting limbs at the fascinating Norwegian Glacier Museum.
Day Five: Optional Norway in a Nutshell excursion
The famous Norway In A Nutshell tour takes in the most stunning parts of the region. Ride the renowned Flamsbana branch line, which drops 20km down the steep-sided valley from Myrdal to Flam, and take a two-hour fjord cruise through Aurlandsfjord and Naeroyfjord to the tiny port of Gudvangen.
Day Six: Included ‘Fjord-Life’ excursion
On today’s included excursion you can explore Sognefjord, and visit the fascinating Sogn Folk Museum at Kaupanger. The museum’s fine collection of fishing and ‘ice’ boats reflects Norway’s age-old interaction with the sea and the fjords.
Day Seven: Spend the day in Balestrand
Spend your final day relaxing in Balestrand. It’s your last chance to soak up the tranquillity of your surroundings, and make the very most of the village. This evening, enjoy a final dinner in the hotel and look back on the highlights of your unique Norwegian fjords holiday.
Day Eight: Fly back to the UK
Transfer back to Bergen airport, and check in for your flight home.