This tremendous value short break has as its highlight the once-in-a-lifetime experience of a performance of the world-renowned Passion Play at Oberammergau. It features accommodation in a delightful four-star hotel in Austria’s sun-kissed Inn Valley, as well as in an Oberammergau guest-house, and a day’s included touring to a delightful Alpine village and to idyllic Lake Achensee.
The Oberammergau Experience Available Departures:
- Fly direct from Edinburgh – departs 8, 15 & 16 July 2020 – from £899pp
- Dates and prices on this page are based on departures flying from Edinburgh only
- Flights also available from UK airports – Birmingham, London Gatwick, London Heathrow, London Luton, London Stansted, Manchester & Newcastle
The Oberammergau Experience Tour Highlights:
- The chance to see the unique Passion Play for yourself
- Two nights in the heart of the Austrian Tyrol
- A visit to beautiful Lake Achensee
- A Category 2 ticket for the Oberammergau 2020 Passion Play
- Two nights’ half-board accommodation in the four-star Sporthotel Kramsach, Inn Valley, Tyrol
- One night’s bed and breakfast accommodation in a three/four-star hotel or guest house in Oberammergau or the surrounding area
- An evening meal during the play interval
- A souvenir Passion Play textbook
- Visits to Rattenburg and Lake Achensee
- Return flights from the UK to Munich
- Comfortable, air-conditioned coach travel and transfers
- Fully escorted by a friendly, experienced tour manager
Single supplements apply. Subject to availability.
The Oberammergau Experience Itinerary
Day One – Fly to Germany
Fly into Munich, meet your tour manager and journey across the Austrian border to the scenic Tyrol, to enjoy the warm welcome and hospitality of your hotel in Kramsach. Settle into your room, explore your surroundings and enjoy a first evening meal.
Day Two – Included tours to Rattenberg and Achensee
Join your tour manager for a full-day sightseeing tour. You’ll begin by travelling to picture-postcard Rattenberg, the Tyrol’s smallest town, which is beautifully set beneath the ruins of its castle, and famous for its glass-blowing and crystal work – as well as for its traditional Apfelstrudel. See artisan craftspeople at work, and taste the traditional dessert as prepared by master bakers, before completing a wonderful day with a visit to Lake Achensee. Relax on one of the beaches that fringe its wooded shores – many of which are popular spots for swimming – or take a cruise on a lake steamer (payable locally).
You’ll return to the hotel in time for dinner.
Day Three – Oberammergau and the Passion Play
Bid farewell to your hotel and make the short journey to Oberammergau. Make the most of your chance to explore this colourful, historic village and visit the fascinating museum, before taking your seat in the auditorium as the story of Christ’s Passion unfolds on the vast stage. Over 2000 villagers are involved in the production, acting, singing or playing in the orchestra. While the auditorium is covered, the stage is open to the elements, adding to the authenticity of the performance. Such is the quality of the acoustics that no microphones are used, as the dialogue and music is carried to the furthest seats. The unfolding drama, of Old Testament scenes and the Passion, takes place over two acts, with an early-evening interval during which you will have dinner in a local restaurant and be able to stretch your legs.
At the end of this uniquely memorable experience, you’ll spend your last night in a local guesthouse or hotel allocated by the Passion Play organisers.
Day Four – Fly back to the UK
After breakfast, this morning, you’ll be transferred back to Munich by coach, and check in for your flight home at the end of a uniquely memorable few days.