Stretching across many cultures and terrains, the region of northern Greece may possibly be more diverse than any other country in Europe. The Romans, Byzantines and Turks have all left their mark, and neighbouring Albania, Bulgaria and Turkey have helped shape a distinctive character.
The region of Epirus will delight you with its soaring mountains and jaw-dropping canyons. Time seems to have stood still in the traditional villages scattered across the landscape. You’re sure to be amazed by your first view of the remarkable and iconic monasteries of Meteora – precariously perched on stone pillars, they’re a truly magical sight. The lakeside city of Ioannina is the perfect base from which to explore this region and all its treasures and we will spend our first three nights here.
We will also explore the ancient necropolis of Vergina and the former port of Pella, both key sites in the history of the mighty Kingdom of Macedonia and historically linked to Alexander the Great and his father, Philip ll. Our journey through northern Greece will also take us to the beautiful landscape of the Halkidiki Peninsula, and it is here where we discover the magnificence of the secluded monasteries of Mount Athos. Our tour also includes four nights in Thessaloniki, a vibrant city renowned for its excellent food – possibly some of the best in the country. You will have time to explore Thessaloniki at your own pace and there will be plenty of opportunities to sample the superb cuisine of Greece’s second city.
- Return flights and transfers
- 7 nights’ in 4-star superior accommodation
- Daily breakfast & 3 dinners
- Explore Ioannina on a guided tour
- Experience the magnificent Pindos Mountains
- See the stunning Vikos Gorge
- Marvel at the iconic monasteries of Meteora
- Enjoy the unique mountainside setting of northern Greece
- See the ancient tombs of the kings of the Macedonian Empire at Vergina
- Follow in the footsteps of Alexander the Great on a visit to Pella
- Learn about the fascinating history of Thessaloniki on a guided tour
- Discover the beautiful landscape of Halkidiki
- Take a boat ride for superb views of the monasteries of Mount Athos
- Services of an expert tour manager.
Subject to availability. Single supplements apply.
For more information or to book, please call 01283 742300 or click here.
Please note, price based on flying direct from London Gatwick – departs until October 2020. Other airports and dates available, click here to view more.